Top 10 Oscar fails
Another Academy Awards ceremony has come and gone, you’ve seen the winners, the losers, the best dressed and the worst dressed. However, we all know that Hollywood’s biggest night is never complete without a few mishaps. We’ve assembled the top ten biggest Oscar fails for you to enjoy, from embarrassing stumbles to the most cringe-worthy acceptance speeches you’ll ever hear.
10. Jennifer Lawrence’s dress fail – Poor Jennifer Lawrence, she’s not had much luck this award’s season, and with two wardrobe malfunctions already under her belt we were hoping her Oscar night would go off without a hitch. (Not really). As the Hunger Games starlet went up to collect the Best Actress award for her role in Silver Linings Playbook, she managed to slip on her dress and fall up the stairs.
9. Angelina Jolie’s awkward PDA with her brother – Although she is now a model mum, award winning actress and humanitarian, Angelina Jolie has had her fair share of weird red carpet moments, and we’re not talking about her and Billy Bob’s matching blood vials. No, on this occasion, Angie shocked viewers by engaging in a very inappropriate and a-bit-too-passionate-for-our-liking kiss with her brother, announcing, “I’m just so in love with my brother right now.” Erm… okay?
8. Julia Roberts loves herself – You know what they say about Hollywood actresses being self obsessed divas. (I know we can’t believe it either.) Well, Julia Roberts proved just that when she presented the award for Best Actor to her friend Denzel Wshington. As she opened the envelope, she announced “I love my life right now!” before lunging at poor Denzel in an over-the-top embrace. It’s not all about you Julia!
7. James Franco and Anne Hathaway hosting fail – In a bid to attract a younger audience Hollywood heart-throb James Franco was picked to host the 2011 Academy Awards along with Anne Hathaway. Viewers gave it a chance. It was awkward. The lack of chemistry was evident, with Franco appearing completely vacant and uninterested and Hathaway trying desperately to make up for it with exaggerated excitement. There was even some cross dressing involved.
6. Ryan Seacrest’s red carpet disaster – Ryan Seacrest is best known for his award ceremony E! Red Carpet coverage, stalking celebrities and critiquing their wardrobes. The 2012 saw controversial comedian Sacha Baron Cohen aka The Dictator approach the presenter before proceeding to pour an urn of ashes onto Ryan’s designer tuxedo. Why? We’re not so sure, but it made for great live television.
5. Sally Field’s speech fail – The 1985 Academy Awards, saw one of the most infamous Oscar acceptance speeches of all time. Sally Field won the Oscar for Best Actress for her role in Places in the Heart. Overcome with emotion, she exclaimed: “You like me, right now, you like me!” Which later became “You like me! You really like me!” If they did Sally, they probably don’t anymore.
4. Michael Moore’s outburst fail – When accepting the Oscar for Best Documentary in 2003, Michael Moore thought it the perfect platform to attack then president George Bush, shouting: “We live in the time where we have fictitious election results that elects a fictitious president. We live in a time where we have a man sending us to war for fictitious reasons, shame on you. Mr. Bush, shame on you.” A simple ‘thank you’ would have been fine Michael.
3. Sean Penn’s sense of humour fail – With funnyman Chris Rock hosting the 2005 Academy Awards, many were surprised that he managed to keep the profanities to a minimum. He did however, rip into many of the nominees and at one point joked: “Who is Jude Law? Why is he in every movie I have seen in the last four years? Even if he’s not acting in it, if you look at the credits he makes the cupcakes or something.” It was funny! Unfortunately, it seemed Sean Penn had recently had a sense of humour bypass and failed to see the fun. “Forgive my lack of humour, Jude Law is one of our most talented actors.”Colossal fail.
2. Seth Mcfarlane’s boob song fail – The Family Guy creator admitted himself that he wasn’t the best man to host the Oscar’s, and in this instance, he was right on the money. Audiences were expecting great things from the 2013 Academy Awards, what with the industry celebrating the 50th anniversary of James Bond and honoring some of Broadway’s finest productions. McFarlane’s contribution? He opened the show with a song called “We saw your boobs”. Nice one Seth.
1. Marlon Brando’s political statement fail – In protest to Hollywood’s portrayal of Native Americans, Marlon Brando refused to collect the Oscar he won for his role in The Godfather. Instead, he appointed a Native American girl named Sacheen Littlefeather to refuse it on his behalf. When presenter Roger Moore attempted to hand over the award, she brushed it away and began rambling from a statement Brando had given her to read before she was cut off. It later emerged that Sacheen was an actress who had been hired for the occasion, and not a real Native American. A fail of epic proportions.
About the author
Ellyn Peratikou is a magazine journalism graduate and freelance writer with a love for all things fashion, lifestyle and travel. You can follow her on Twitter @EllynPera