Business Mum: ‘Luxuriates At Home!’
I don’t know if it is the clocks going back, bringing darker days and darker nights, or if it is the cold weather so the woollies come out, but recently I’ve been yearning to hibernate!
Running a business, daily work, doing the school run, running a home – all of these things mean that I have to get out of bed on a morning, there is no choice, but my cosy bed is looking more and more inviting the further we get towards winter. This is why I decided to have a cosy day at home during the weekend!
Sometimes a duvet day is exactly what you need to nourish your soul in the winter months. Busy mums spend most of the time rushing round after everyone else, but we should make sure we have at least one weekend day off in the winter time to stay at home, watch DVDs, eat chocolate and pamper ourselves with luxury bath products.
When you are doing the daily juggle, it’s easy to forget to have fun sometimes. Like any special event, a relaxing day at home needs some advance planning, so here is my check list that every Jugglista needs for her own special duvet day!
- First, in advance of your duvet day, wash your bedding! It makes the experience much nicer when you have clean crisp sheets to crawl into!
- Next, dig out some cosy pyjamas. I have to confess, there’s nothing more appealing to me than a lovely new set of jammies so if I can afford to I like to get a new pair, or ask people for them for birthdays and Christmas then I can save them for a special duvet day.
- After this, choose the movies you want to watch in advance and get it on DVD, or, if you have Sky TV, flick through the menu a week or so before your duvet day to see what movies are showing then set record. It’s a good idea to do this regularly anyway, as there are some great family movies on during the week when we don’t have time to watch them, and it feels like we are making the most out of the monthly subscription if we have recorded a few to have on the ‘Planner’ in case we get chance on a Sunday!
- So you have set the scene, chosen your outfit and sorted the entertainment next we move onto the food. On a duvet day I like easy to prepare food that doesn’t require any chopping or extra thinking about so a pizza is a safe choice. I also like to have some chocolate in the cupboard… just because!
- Another part of the day will involve having a bubble bath and painting my nails so I make sure that I have a nice nail colour in and also enough bubbles!
Now that all parts of the duvet day are in place, all you have to do is to enjoy it! In my house, what would typically happen is that the kids would see me about to have a bubble bath and get into a comfy bed with a stack of movies then decide they want to be part of it too, so if you want your day solo, have your partner take the kids out somewhere. I don’t mind the kids joining me though… as long as they don’t bounce around in the bed or try to take my chocolate!
More from Nadine
Business Mum: ‘Find your lifestyle mojo!’
Business Mum: ‘How to plan when nothing goes to plan!’
Business Mum: ‘Run your home like a business!’
Business Mum: ‘Get Some T.S.T – Time Saving Technology!’
Business Mum: ‘The Busy Mum’s Bucket List’
Business Mum: ‘Go With the Snow!’
Business Mum: ‘Super Mums Secret Weapon!’
Business Mum: ‘Achieve Your Dreams in 2011!’
Business Mum: ‘A Trip Down Memory Lane’
Business Mum: ‘Posh in 60 Seconds!’
Business Mum: ‘Life’s Little Details’
Business Mum: ‘Head Over Heels’
Business Mum: ‘WHAM, BAM, Thank You Ma’am!’
Business Mum: ‘Time Management Tips For Kate!’
Business Mum: ‘How To Plan For The School Holidays!’
Business Mum: ‘Big Boss Mum’
Business Mum: ‘The Cyber Play Date!’
Business Mum: ‘Get The Real Housewives of Orange Country Look’
Business Mum: ‘The Busy Mum’s Festival Survival Kit!’
Business Mum: ‘Aah! Ibiza!’
Business Mum: ‘Happy Birthday To Me!’
Business Mum: ‘Getting Fruity!’
Business Mum: ‘Red-dy Steady Girl!’
About the Author
Nadine Hill is a busy working mum (“Is there any other kind?!”) who has a fascination with time management which borders on the obsessive! She loves to find more effective ways of doing the daily juggle whilst enjoying the journey and has lots of practise through raising her two children, managing her small business, being a best-selling author, running her home, public speaking and finding time to get to the gym! Nadine’s ambition is to help busy mums claw back a bit of ‘me time’ so she shares her tips with at home in these fortnightly columns and her own life stories on her blog, Juggle Mum (www.JuggleMum.com). She also micro blogs on Twitter where she is @Businessmum. You can learn more about Nadine at www.NadineHill.com.