Pavlovas always make an impressive dessert, yet they’re surprisingly easy to make. The sharpness of the berries contrasts temptingly with the sweetness of the meringue.
You will need:
For the meringue:
● 6 medium egg whites
● 300g caster sugar
● 1tsp cornflour
● 1tsp white wine vinegar
For the filling:
● 250ml double cream
● 150g melted white chocolate
● 1kg fresh raspberries, or a selection of mixed berries
- Pre-heat the oven to 140°C/fan oven 120°C/Gas 1.
- Place the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl and whisk with a hand mixer until soft peaks are formed.
- Add half the sugar and whisk mixture until firm.
- Gently fold in the cornflour and the white wine vinegar with a metal spoon until well combined and then set to one side.
- On a baking tray lay out non-stick baking parchment then, with a large spoon, make a nest shape with the meringue mix or make 10 individual nests. Put into the oven to cook for 10 minutes before turning the heat down to the lowest setting for a few hours, or turn the oven off and leave overnight.
- Remove meringue nest/s from the oven and allow to cool. While cooling, whip up the cream to soft peaks. Then brush the chocolate into the centre of the meringue nest/s and fill with the whipped cream. Spoon on the berries, topping with a few choice raspberries. Sprinkle over as much of the remaining sugar as required and serve.
Photograph: Getty Images